Gestió emocional als equips

Building Compassionate Software

M’he trobat això pel fedivershttps://ashfurrow.com/blog/building-compassionate-software/

El vídeo són 40 minuts, però a l’article del blog diu el mateix.

L’esquema de l’article:

1. Feelings Matter. Before we talk about feelings, we should discuss why exactly they matter. There’s a lot of evidence here that I’m excited to talk about.
  2. Teams with Psychological Safety Perform Better. I’m going to describe what psychological safety means and what it looks like.
  3. How to Implement Psychological Safety on Your Team. After we have a firm grasp on feelings and psychological safety, I want to discuss some ways to start improving your team’s performance and dynamics.

I un trosset de la 3a part, com promoure la seguretat psicosocial a l’equip:

Leaders and contributors can do three main things to help improve psychological safety on their team:

1. Admit fallibility and normalize struggle.
  2. Frame all work as learning experiences .
  3. Model curiosity by creating a space where opinions are asked for and voices don’t need to ask permission.

Impostor syndrome and burnout: some reflections

També relacionat, un article que va passar l’ @enricostn pel telegram:
http://interactions.acm.org/archive/view/may-june-2019/impostor-syndrome-and-burnout

1. Observation 1. Feeling like an impostor is often described as feeling outside the dominant group. That outsiderness is not always a bad thing
  2. Observation 2. If you feel like an outsider, you may not be alone. My conversations suggest that more people feel like outsiders than do not
  3. Observation 3. Although many people feel like outsiders, feeling like an outsider over a long period of time really can create the conditions for serious emotional difficulties and burnout

Given these observations, I have been reflecting on what actions are available. Here are some thoughts:

• Reflect, talk, listen. Identify if you are suffering from impostoritis and/or are at risk of burnout.
  • Evaluate your workload and work habits. Are there no breaks? Do you feel the need to do catch-up work in the evenings and on weekends?
  • Try safe-to-fail experiments Try saying no when people ask you to take on new tasks before you’ve finished the ones you’re working on; practice letting one go before letting another one in.
  • Practice rebalancing. consider if you may be experiencing sustained anxiety and/or depression.

Finally, if your diary reflects sustained negative feelings, if safe-to-fail experiments leave you feeling worse, and if you’ve been struggling to find balance for a while, oscillating between anxiety and depression, I recommend you talk to a career counselor or a therapist. Also, try to avoid self-blame and further self-criticism. Remember that it is usually the best, the brightest, the most dedicated, and the most driven to succeed who push themselves… sometimes too hard.

Forget about clean code

I per últim un altre que acabo de trobar menre buscava enllaços al primer de tots.

As I’ve grown older, I learned to stop getting upset about “Unclean” Code. In any real world code base there will be an uncountable number of unfortunate quirks, odd and ends. This is okay. Things are the way they are because they got that way. People did what they did because of reasons. Those reasons are valid, whether it was because the surrounding needs changed, because the developer had insufficient experience, because they wanted to go home to their family instead of sitting late in the office or if they just had a difference in opinion on what’s good code.

I don’t believe we should use TDD because it’s a professional obligation. Instead I use TDD when it makes my work more enjoyable. I don’t think we should refactor our code because it violates a SOLID-principle. Instead I sometimes reach to a principle to understand why some piece of code is hard to change or understand. I don’t want to shame people for writing Unclean Code. Instead I believe in having an honest dialog among equals about how we want our code to look. I don’t believe that professionalism should compel us to introduce tests for all untested code. Instead I believe we should prioritize which deficiencies we fix and which code monsters we allow to live out their lives in their part of the code base.

I want to accept my unclean code as battle scars to be proud of and to be humble about, not as failings to be ashamed of.

Part de la meva motivació per llegir i compartir això ha estat que a dins la cooperativa parlem i tenim aquests temes una mica; com ho interpreto jo, ens costa com a homes. Aquesta entrada té l’objectiu de contribuir en aquesta direcció també allà on sigueu les altres persones masculines perdudes en línies de codi i pipelines d’integració :blush:

3 me gusta